First Death was a supplement to the series, during its hiatus, and an original "prequel" adventure of Anita's before Guilty Pleasures. Written by Hamilton and Jonathon Green, and penciled by Wellington Alves, the tale is two issues long and takes place early in Anita's career, introducing Jean-Claude, Edward and Zerbrowski as characters. This story represents the back story of Anita's first encounter with Valentine and her first time hunting with Edward. A variant cover for issue #2 has Anita and the Marvel Zombies.
Publication Dates[edit | edit source]
- #1: July 11, 2007
- #2: October 31, 2007
- hardcover: February 13, 2008 (contains #1-2 and Guilty Pleasures Handbook)
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The power to give life. The power to take it away. Anita Blake possesses both. By day, she works as a necromancer, reanimating the dead—for a price. But her nights are another story altogether. She is the well-known huntress—fittingly known by the vampires as The Executioner.
LAURELL K. HAMILTON'S ANITA BLAKE - VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE FIRST DEATH (2007) #1
Her fans have been asking for it and now Laurell K. Hamilton is going to deliver. Laurell K. Hamilton, Dabel Brothers Productions, and Marvel are coming together to give readers a look into Anita Blake's past. Written by Laurell K. Hamilton herself, along with Jonathon Green, this July will see the release of part one of a two issue limited series that takes place almost a year before the events currently being chronicled in Guilty Pleasures. You will get to see the first time Anita and Jean-Claude meet, Anita's first time inside Guilty Pleasures, her first serial killer case, and a very early encounter with Edward. Prepare to be thrilled by this original story produced especially for comics.
LAURELL K. HAMILTON'S ANITA BLAKE - VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE FIRST DEATH (2007) #2
The Anita Blake comic book event concludes! Laurell K. Hamilton and Jonathon Green reveal even more exciting secrets from the past of Anita Blake in this very special two-part series. Anita and Edward hunt a killer vampire, but can they find him before more innocent blood is spilled? How deep into the vampire psyche is Anita willing to delve in order to get her killer? And what will Anita sacrifice in order to stop this murderer from striking again?
New and old fans alike will be thrilled by this original story produced exclusively for the Dabel Brothers and Marvel Comics!
LAURELL K. HAMILTON'S ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE FIRST DEATH DM ONLY (HARDCOVER)
Her fans have been asking for it; now, Laurell K. Hamilton delivers a look into Anita Blake's past. Written by Laurell K. Hamilton herself, along with Jonathon Green, THE FIRST DEATH takes place almost a year before the events being chronicled in GUILTY PLEASURES. Witness the first meeting of Anita and Jean-Claude, Anita's first time inside Guilty Pleasures, her first serial-killer case, and an early encounter with Edward. Prepare to be thrilled by this original story produced especially for comics! Collecting LAURELL K. HAMILTON'S ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE FIRST DEATH #1-2, plus the ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER: GUILTY PLEASURES HANDBOOK.
Covers[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Recurring characters[edit | edit source]
- Anita Blake
- Dead Dave
- Jean-Claude - manager of Guilty Pleasures, rumor has it that he has pissed off the Master of the City somehow
- Manny Rodriguez - Anita's mentor in vampire hunting and zombie raising
- Mary - secretary at Animators, Inc., not mentioned by name
- Bert - Anita's boss at Animators, Inc.
- Edward - assassin whom Anita has met before but not hunted with, tried to charm her on their first meeting
- Perry - detective who takes statement of a widow of one of the victims
- Valentine - a member of the murderous nest
Other named characters[edit | edit source]
- Jones - one of the uniformed officers who has an issue with Anita being on the scene
- Adam - stripper at Guilty Pleasures, lives near the first crime scene
- Brian Dickerson - victim of the second crime scene, old enough to carry an id in his wallet, but later referred to as a kid
- Mrs. Dickerson - Brian's mother
- Sean - stripper at Guilty Pleasures, about 20 years undead
- Barnes - one of the uniformed officers at the interrogation room, gets hypnotized
- Mr. James - husband of Sandra James, hires Edward to avenge her death, gives statement about her death to Detective Perry
- the master of Sean, Adam, and other members of the murderous nest, female
- Steve - a member of the murderous nest, in charge of Manny after he and Anita are captured, fails to keep him fit for hunting
Mentioned[edit | edit source]
- Manny's wife and kids - Manny's first priority
- The Master of the City - referred to as a woman who is pissed off with Jean-Claude
- Zerbrowski's wife - knows he's a letch
- Sandra James - one of the victims at the dump site, real estate broker, cheated on her husband with a vampire
Deaths[edit | edit source]
Deaths unrelated to the vampire killing spree are shown within parenthesis.
- 6 murdered kids before the start of the novel
- 1 murdered kid at the first crime scene
- Brian Dickerson at the second crime scene
- 12 bodies buried at a dump site, all probably killed before the start of the novel, one of them Sandra James
- (wife and son of a judge, killed by a vampire about ten years ago)
- Sean, killed by Anita after his master takes control of him
- (a vampire Anita shot a big hole into at some past hunt in order to slow it down, while Manny threw rocks at it, presumably finished off by one of them afterwards)
- (a vampire who tried to feed from Anita's femoral artery on some past hunt, presumably killed by Manny or Anita afterwards)
- tortured and killed man at the first vampire nest
- (a zombie Anita raises, who embezzled money while alive)
- a member of Sean's nest who doesn't manage to run before dawn, killed by Anita while dead for the day
- a man and a woman and Adam, killed by Anita while they hunt her within the fallback nest house
- a male human or vampire, burned by Edward's flame thrower
- the master of the nest, shot by Anita and burned by Edward
- presumably at least 9 or 10 other humans and 2 or 3 other vampires shot or burned to death by Edward within the house, including Steve (unless he was the one Edward burned just before the master)
- (a vampire Anita has warranty for at the end of the story, likely killed the following night)
Inconsistencies[edit | edit source]
- Possible inconsistency: In Guilty Pleasures it's said that Anita was also hospitalized after the fight, had her arm in traction, and needed a lot of physical therapy to get the arm back to working form. At the final page of this story Edward invites Anita to hunt with him once she heals up, and she says she's going to hunt with the police that very night. The page is set so that it looks like Anita was visiting Manny at the hospital, but it's possible that she just got discharged herself and is planning to hunt one-armed. In either case, if there is no inconsistency the final page has to happen a lot later than the previous one, even if nothing of the sort is mentioned.
- In the books Jean-Claude claims he became interested in Anita at their first meeting because she could defend herself and wouldn't wait to be rescued, but here she's notably timid in her dealings with him.
|Anita Blake Series|
01. Guilty Pleasures • 02. The Laughing Corpse • 03. Circus of the Damned • 04. The Lunatic Cafe • 05. Bloody Bones • 06. The Killing Dance • 07. Burnt Offerings • 08. Blue Moon • 09. Obsidian Butterfly • 10. Narcissus in Chains • 11. Cerulean Sins • 12. Incubus Dreams • 13. Micah • 14. Danse Macabre • 15. The Harlequin • 16. Blood Noir • 17. Skin Trade • 18. Flirt • 19. Bullet • 20. Hit List • 21. Kiss the Dead • 22. Affliction • 23. Jason • 24. Dead Ice • 25. Crimson Death • 26. Serpentine • 27. Sucker Punch • 28. Rafael
|Short Stories||Magic Like Heat Across My Skin • Blood Upon My Lips • The Girl who was Infatuated with Death • Those Who Seek Forgiveness • Selling Houses • Beauty • Dancing • Shutdown • A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie • Wounded • Sweet Seduction|
|Comics||The First Death • Guilty Pleasures & Handbook • The Laughing Corpse • Circus of the Damned|