Synopsis[edit | edit source]
A brutal murder, a suspect in jail, and an execution planned—but what if the wrong person is about to be killed?
When a fellow U.S. Marshal asks Anita Blake to fly to a tiny community in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula on an emergency consult, she knows time is running short. When she arrives, there is plenty of proof that a young wereleopard killed his uncle in the most gruesome and bloody way possible. As the mounting evidence points to him, a warrant of execution is already under way.
But something seems off about the murder, and Anita has been asked for her expert opinion on the crime scene. Despite escalating pressure from local cops and the family’s cries for justice for their dead patriarch, Anita quickly realizes that the evidence doesn’t quite add up.
Time is against Anita, as the tight-knit community is up in arms and its fear of supernaturals is growing. She races to uncover the truth and determine whether the Marshals have caught the killer or are about to execute an innocent man—all in the name of justice.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Appeared[edit | edit source]
Mentioned[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
Publication history[edit | edit source]
|Imprint / Publisher||Country||Release Date||Format||ISBN|
|Berkley / Penguin Random House||USA||Aug 4, 2020||Hardcover||978-1984804433|
|Penguin Audio / Penguin Random House||USA||Aug 4, 2020||Audiobook||978-0593215289 |
|BoT / Penguin Random House||USA||Aug 4, 2020||Audiobook||978-0593215296 |
|Headline||UK, AU||Aug 4, 2020||Hardcover||978-1472241825 |
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hamilton had begun writing the book by September 2018, which she revealed during her book tour for the previous novel Serpentine. Hamilton announced that she had signed a contract for another Anita Blake book and had already begun writing.
- In February 2019, Hamilton hinted that she was re-reading Bullet as research for the new book.
- In May 2019, the completed draft was sent to Hamilton's editor.
[edit | edit source]
|Anita Blake Series|
01. Guilty Pleasures • 02. The Laughing Corpse • 03. Circus of the Damned • 04. The Lunatic Cafe • 05. Bloody Bones • 06. The Killing Dance • 07. Burnt Offerings • 08. Blue Moon • 09. Obsidian Butterfly • 10. Narcissus in Chains • 11. Cerulean Sins • 12. Incubus Dreams • 13. Micah • 14. Danse Macabre • 15. The Harlequin • 16. Blood Noir • 17. Skin Trade • 18. Flirt • 19. Bullet • 20. Hit List • 21. Kiss the Dead • 22. Affliction • 23. Jason • 24. Dead Ice • 25. Crimson Death • 26. Serpentine • 27. Sucker Punch • 28. Rafael
|Short Stories||Magic Like Heat Across My Skin • Blood Upon My Lips • The Girl who was Infatuated with Death • Those Who Seek Forgiveness • Selling Houses • Beauty • Dancing • Shutdown • A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie • Wounded • Sweet Seduction|
|Comics||The First Death • Guilty Pleasures & Handbook • The Laughing Corpse • Circus of the Damned|
References[edit | edit source]
- Penguin Random House 
- BOT (Books on Tape) website listing for Sucker Punch audiobook. Note: BoT differs from Penguin Audio in that it specializes in audiobooks for schools and libraries, per wikipedia and the company's about us page.
- Hachette (Australia publisher) listing for Sucker Punch.
- Headline listing for Sucker Punch hardcover.
- Headline listing for Sucker Punch ebook.
- Laurell K. Hamilton's Instagram: Because it’s Monday y’all! And I’m writing the new Anita Blake novel. I’ll be doing more posts about Serpentine, but as always happens the new book hits the shelves about the time I need to start working on the next one. So here’s to hot caffeine and getting motivated. September 10, 2019.
- Laurell K Hamilton's blog: The next Anita Blake novel… February 06, 2019.
- Laurell K. Hamilton Tweeted: The next #AnitaBlake novel is DONE and off to my editor! (Should have a release date to share soon!) Also on Instagram. May 28, 2019.