Psychics are humans who are born with different types of preternatural abilities, so it is debatable whether they are truly human or not. There is some overlap with psychic gifts and magical ones, and it's possible that inborn magical talent is just another psychic ability. The main difference seems to be that magic usually requires a ritual to prepare and open the mind to it, but meditation also helps most physics to do better with their gifts so the difference might not be all that big.
Use of psychic abilities can be exhausting, unless the talent is strong enough that the ability simply leaks out. Those people are sometimes called 'natural psychics'. For them not using their ability might be more difficult and draining, but even very powerful psychics can exhaust themselves if they attempt to perform some big feat with their talent. Shock, illness, or exhaustion can temporarily block a psychic's talents.
Some psychic abilities include:
- Clairvoyance. the bearer of the power can touch a random object and can tell who else has touched it, and what they did with that object. Can be used to find murderers, or where the murder victim is. One of the strongest clairvoyant in St. Louis is Evans.
- "Electronic Tracking". In Dead Ice, it is revealed some psychics can sense the abilities of others through electronic media such as computer videos. This ability is so new that it doesn't have an official name, yet.
- Empathy. Empaths can feel the emotions of those around them.
- Psychic null projection. The bearer can negated most psychic abilities within a few yards around himself. The only bearer of this ability is Evans's wife.
- Psychic vampire. Cannibal is the only human psychic described by Anita as a psychic vampire. His ability allows him to feed on others' memories and emotions, almost exlusively mostly violent. When feeding on others' memories, he experiences them and gains his victims' knowledge. When he pushed his powers further than his morals usually limited, they rendered his victim an "empty shell" though still alive.
- Pyrokinesis. Also called “fire bugs,“ pyrokinetics have the ability to conjure fire through will and an aura which protects them from flames. In Burnt Offerings, Anita notes this gift is extremely rare.
- Telepathy. Telepaths can read minds, and although Anita has not met a human telepath, she briefly mentions them in the series. She learns that the vampire, Malcolm, has telepathic abilities that he attempts to keep secret.
- Animating/necromancy. For some people raising the dead is a psychic ability that must be used or accidental zombies will happen. It's possible to raise zombies with vaudun rituals without any psychic ability with the dead in particular, but Anita hasn't met anyone who can do it who doesn't have at least some psychic talent. People like Anita who do have natural affinity with the dead don't necessarily need a ritual at all.
Although psychic abilities may be very prominent, some people don't even know they're psychic. For example, Zerbrowski, one of Anita's police friends, is said to be a little psychic. When a vampire's power is floating around the room, Anita is said to have seen Zerbrowski shiver, and none of the other police officers. People who have stronger psychic talent but are neglecting their abilities (possibly through ignorance) are likely to get diagnosed with depression or other mental illnesses, because the power will out and some powers can masquerade as mental illnesses.
Known Psychics[edit | edit source]
- Angela Dalton - A psychic detective in Kirke Key, Florida.
- Cannibal - Real name Rocco, a stg. of the Las Vegas SWAT. An empath and psychic vampire.
- Davey - Real name Davis, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Denis-Luc St. John - has some unspecified psychic talent
- Evans - Touch Clairvoyant.
- Evans's wife - Psychic null projector.
- Howard Grant - Touch Clairvoyant.
- Mercy - Real name Mercer, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Morrigan Williams - A well known psychic that specialises in serial killer cases and other violent deaths.
- Moon - Real name Moonus, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Sanchez - Real name Arrio, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Santa - Real name Theodoros, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Spider - Real name Rusterman, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Sonny - Real name Hooper, member of the Las Vegas SWAT.
- Wizard - Member of the Las Vegas SWAT, second in command to Cannibal. Killed at the beginning of Skin Trade.