A Human Servant functions similarly to a witch's familiar in that when the servant is nearby, the vampire's abilities are stronger. Most or all master vampires appear to be able to create a "human servant." By marking a human with four successive "marks", the vampire makes the human into a human servant. A vampire can only have one human servant at one time, and cannot remove a mark once given. Most vampires seem to be able to exercise some control over their servants, but a necromancer servant, such as Anita Blake, has complete free will. The death of either the servant or the vampire may injure or kill the other member of the relationship.
Human Servant Creation
- First Mark: The vampire shares its life essence with the servant. The first mark grants the human servant greater endurance, healing, speed and resistance to vampire mental powers, and an almost complete immunity to their own vampire's mental powers.
- Second Mark: Anita experiences this mark as a pair of floating points of flame in the color of the vampire's eyes that merged with her own. The second mark allows the vampire to draw power from the human servant, to experience food and drink consumed by the servant, and to enter the servant's dreams.
- Third Mark: The third mark is made by the vampire drinking the servant's blood. It grants the servant full endurance and allows the vampire and servant to communicate mentally even when awake.
- Fourth Mark: The fourth mark is made when the servant drinks the vampire's blood, cementing their bond. It conveys immortality to the servant, almost complete mental communication, and allows the servant to draw on the vampire's strength. Anita originally believed that this mark causes human servants to lose their souls.
Known Human Servants
- Anita Blake - Servant of Jean-Claude. Former human servant of Alejandro.
- Angelito - Servant of Musette.
- Balthasar - Servant of The Traveler.
- Burchard - Servant of Nikolaos.
- Dominic Dumare - Servant of Sabin.
- Edmond - Servant of an unknown Master of the City.
- Giovanni - Servant of Columbine.
- Irene - Servant of Melchior.
- Julianna - Former servant of Asher.
- Karl Inger - Servant of Mr. Oliver.
- Marguerite - Servant of Yasmeen.
- Nikki - Servant of Colin.
- Octavious - Servant of Augustine.
- Pinotl - Servant of Itzpapalotl.
- Thomas Carswell - Servant of Padma.