If you have questions, please post them at our community center, the Main Page discussion. If you wish to create an article and want to test it beforehand, please use the Sandbox. We hope you enjoy the Wiki, and help us enrich it.
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter is a series of fictional works set into a fantasy world parallel to our own, where vampires, shapeshifters (including lycanthropes such as werewolves), faeries, etc. exist, where humans can have a wide variety of psychic and magical abilities from clairvoyance to re-animating the dead, and where faith causes religious items to glow in the presence of active vampire powers regardless of the religion. This parallel world is complex and ever-changing, as the relationships and power structures evolve and we learn more about the numerous subgroups.
In the middle of all of this is Anita Blake, the heroine of the series, who tries to figure out her own life and relationships while doing her part to keep the people safe from the monsters -- and, when the situation calls for it, the monsters safe from the people and/or each other.
The series consists of a long list of novels, a number of short stories in various formats, and Dabel Brothers/Marvel Comics adaptations of the first novels.
NOTE: The series frequently contains explicit violence, harsh themes, and detailed sexual encounters that do not always fit within the golden rule of 'safe, sane, and consensual'. This reflects to some extent to the articles within this wiki. Be warned.
Anita Katerine Blake is a young woman who lives in St. Louis. Her night job, and primary source of income, is the legal profession of re-animating the dead. As an animator, her job entails using magical abilities to bring temporary life to dead bodies as zombies in order to e.g. question them for legal purposes. She isn't just a run-of-the-mill animator, though, as she is powerful enough to become a necromancer. This allows her more and wider control over the dead, including to some extent even vampires and zombies raised by other people.
Unlike most animators, Anita is also held in retainer as a preternatural consultant for the Regional Preternatural Investigation Taskforce, which handles crimes involving magic, vampires, lycanthropes, and other preternatural creatures. She is also a licensed vampire hunter/executioner in her own right, which sometimes gives her a wider range of possibilities than the police have on their disposal. Later Anita gets empowered as a Federal Marshal, which broadens the range of her responsibilities, but also makes her job easier in many ways.
Killing a vampire is a murder, but there are legal exceptions. As a jail couldn't hold a vampire, breaking the law means a warrant of execution for that vampire and any accomplices, human and vampire alike. The warrant doesn't necessarily specify which vampire is the culprit either, making the vampire hunter the sole judge, jury, and executioner for those involved. For some people the vampire hunter license largely means morgue stakings after the rogue vampire has already been caught and restrained, but Anita is one of the good ones who do their own tracking down and killing in the field. This earned her early on a nickname among the vampires: The Executioner.
Refresh page to see new article...
Book 4: The Lunatic Cafe (1996)
Ace reprint paperback
- Aug 2020 - Sucker Punch, the 27th novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, will be released.
- Aug 2019 - Serpentine was released in paperback.
- May 28, 2019 - Announcement: Laurell K. Hamilton has finished writing the next Anita Blake novel (untitled) and it is currently in editing. Source
- May 7, 2019 - "Sweet Seduction," a new Anita Blake short story by Laurell K. Hamilton, is released as part of the anthology Noir Fatale.
- Sep 18, 2018 - Announcement: Laurell K. Hamilton has signed a deal with her publisher Berkley for at least one more Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novel. Source.
- Aug 7, 2018 - Serpentine, the 26th novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, was released. HERE!
- The 26th novel has been postponed by a year to June, 2018.
- Dec 9, 2016 - The short story A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie was removed from Laurell K. Hamilton's site, but it might return some day.
- The 26th novel is rumored to be out in June, 2017.
- Nov 3, 2016 - A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie, a new short story, was available for free on Laurell K. Hamilton's site for a short time. HERE!
- Dec 6, 2016 - Wounded, an extended epilogue to Dead Ice that was included in the paperback edition, was released as an eBook. HERE!
- Oct 11, 2016 - Crimson Death, the 25th novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, was released. HERE!
- Book 01: Guilty Pleasures
- Book 02: The Laughing Corpse
- Book 03: Circus of the Damned
- Book 04: The Lunatic Cafe
- Book 05: Bloody Bones
- Book 06: The Killing Dance
- Book 07: Burnt Offerings
- Book 08: Blue Moon
- Book 09: Obsidian Butterfly
- Book 10: Narcissus in Chains
- Book 11: Cerulean Sins
- Book 12: Incubus Dreams
- Book 13: Micah
- Book 14: Danse Macabre
- Book 15: The Harlequin
- Book 16: Blood Noir
- Book 17: Skin Trade
- Book 18: Flirt
- Book 19: Bullet
- Book 20: Hit List
- Book 21: Kiss the Dead
- Book 22: Affliction
- Book 23: Jason
- Book 24: Dead Ice
- Book 25: Crimson Death
- Book 26: Serpentine
- Book 27: Sucker Punch